Hob Nob Lunch Group Seeks Kitchen Co-Leaders
The Hob Nob Lunch Group is a community kitchen started and attended by adults with development disabilities, support providers, and friends. The monthly cooking group takes place in the Hollywood Senior Center in NE Portland on the third Friday of the month, 10am-2pm. All recipes used in the group focus on the diverse abilities of participants with a focus on accessible cooking and healthy eating. Kitchen leaders work with volunteers and participants to agree on foods that participants want to cook. The group cooks and eats a meal together sharing food skills, and enjoying friendship and delicious food.
The Hob Nob Lunch Group seeks a kitchen co-leader to support planning, implementation, and facilitation of the group. Potential candidates should have experience with adults with developmental disabilities and aspirations to facilitate meaningful skill-building in an empowering environment. This is an unpaid volunteer position (or internship for those in need of internship hours). Leaders are asked to commit to the September 2016 through June 2017 program year. The expected time commitment is about 10-12 hours a month.
Kitchen Commons serves in a supporting role to the cooking group and will provide kitchen leadership training, templates, technical support, and ongoing skill-building and networking opportunities for kitchen leaders.
Qualifications of a Kitchen Leader
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people
- Interest in cooking, food, and nutrition
- Ability to multi-task and work in a busy kitchen atmosphere
- Ability to budget and manage funds
- Willingness to share leadership with others who would like to contribute to the group
Kitchen Leader Duties
- Initiate planning committee to get to know the group and discuss cooking group goals and agreements
- Attend Kitchen Commons Leadership Training on September 24th, 2016 1-5pm and Kitchen Commons Networking and Skill building events as time allows
- Create flyers and invitations through e-mail and phone calls, coordinate RSVPs
- Help plan menu and develop recipes according to group’s standards and specifications
- Coordinate budget and shopping with co-leaders and participants
- Set-up, facilitation, and clean-up during the cooking group
- Facilitate cooking group evaluation with participants and leaders and submit reports to Kitchen Commons
- Help coordinate at least one fundraiser for the cooking group
Applicants should contact Kitchen Commons Program Coordinator, Jennifer Elting at firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject header “Hob Nob Lunch Group Leadership” or call Jennifer at 503-287-8248.