Mushroom Ceviche and Saltado Recipe
These are Peruvian recipes adapted and shared by Juan Carlos La Puente at the Cocina Comunitaria de Cully in November. Buen provecho!
Saltado de Champignones (mushroom saltado) / serves 12 people
- 3.5 pounds of mushrooms (crimini are good)
- 2 1/2 red onions, cut in long thick strips (think fajita veggies)
- 8 tomatoes, cut in long thick strips
- 3 poblano pepper (Mexican, substituted for peruvian yellow pepper)
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 Tablespoons of white vinegar or (2 of white and 2 of apple vinegar).
- 8 Tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 cup of green onions (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley or 4 teaspoons fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano / or 1 spoon of dried oregano.
- Salt and pepper
- ? cup canola oil.
- Rice&quinoa with corn: 1.5 cups of rice + 1.5 cups of quinoa (or just 3 cups of rice)
- 2 ears of fresh corn (or a can of corn)
- Alternative: fried potatoes
- Cook the rice/quinoa (2 cups water to 1 cup grain)
- Clean the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper
- Heat vegetable oil in a wok.
- Saute over high heat until the mushrooms are slightly golden brown and juicy.
- Remove the mushrooms, and add garlic, onion, the mexican pepper. In a few minutes add the tomatoes. Saute.
- Return the mushrooms to the wok, add vinegar, soy sauce. Saute over high heat.
- Season with salt, pepper and chopped cilantro, parsley. Finally, add the green onion.
Ceviche de Champignones (mushroom ceviche) Serves 12 people
- 2.5 pounds of mushrooms (crimini are good)
- 3/4 cup of lime juice or very acidic lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 6 garlic cloves chopped.
- 6 spoon of olive oil.
- 2 serrano Mexican pepper. We use this instead of the Peruvian Ají limo.
- Salt and pepper.
- 12 lettuce leaves.
Clean the mushrooms very well with a damp cloth or paper. Slice thinly (about 1/2 cm.) Put them in a pot and completely cover with the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper, chopped garlic, soy sauce, olive oil and pepper. Let stand for 5 minutes and serve. Remember that mushrooms should not be soaked in water, because they are like a sponge and absorb everything. Decorate if you want with lettuce leaves.