Seeking Summer/Fall Community Engagement Intern
We are seeking an enthusiastic individual to join our team as a Community Engagement Intern. Ideal candidates will be able to start by 6/15/16 and work through 12/15/16. The intern will receive a $250 stipend, half paid at the mid-term check-in and half paid at the end of the internship. The intern should expect to work 10 hours per week, with additional hours as necessary especially during event weeks. Daily schedule will often be flexible, with some evenings and weekends required, and at least two consistent weekly times for shared “office hours” at a community center workspace in NE Portland. Interns can also arrange to receive course credit.
We will review applications as they are received and begin scheduling interviews, with priority given to applications received by June 9th, 2016. Please send a letter of interest and resume (attached as a PDF with your name in the document title) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your letter should include a description of your background and qualifications and why you are interested in the Community Engagement internship and in Kitchen Commons. For more information, visit www.kitchencommons.net or call 503-956-0672.
The Community Engagement Intern will serve as a connector between Kitchen Commons and people interested in joining a Community Kitchen or supporting our larger movement, using tools of face-to-face relationship building, event outreach, and electronic media. The intern will also serve as the project manager for our Summer Celebration and Annual Membership Meeting in August (tentatively Sunday 8/14), and support the implementation of outreach and fundraising efforts as a member of the Kitchen Commons Fundraising Committee. Key responsibilities include promoting Community Kitchen cooking events and recruiting new participants, organizing outreach efforts such as community tabling and restaurant donation nights, and spearheading engagement with community members through social media and e-mail newsletters.
- Develop a project workplan and timeline in coordination with KC staff/board.
- Regular and reliable attendance at weekly staff/intern meetings and shared “office hours”, as well as other planning meetings as necessary.
- Participate in a 1-month and 3-month check-in meetings and in an exit/transition interview at the close of the internship period.
- Actively spread the word about and generate interest in Kitchen Commons through information tables at community events, e-newsletters, social media and networking with other organizations.
- Work with Community Kitchen leaders to help promote regular cooking events, recruit new participants, and engage continuing participants.
Events Coordination & Resource Development:
- With the support of the staff, board and event volunteers, coordinate planning for Summer Celebration bringing participants of each of the Community Kitchens together, including publicity, volunteer recruitment, logistics, and donation solicitation.
- Assist with fundraising efforts including restaurant percent of sales nights and sponsor donations.
- Help to divide and assign event tasks to volunteers, based on the needs of the task and the interests and skills of volunteers. Follow up with event volunteers to support follow-through and to help develop volunteer skills and leadership.
- Work with you to implement a plan for meeting your personal and professional goals and gaining skills and work experience from the internship.
- Provide the necessary training, information and resources for fulfilling the responsibilities of the internship.
- Be available for questions and guidance at regularly scheduled office hours and as needed.
- Provide opportunities for connecting with and learning about local food organizations.
- Provide opportunities for participating in, learning about and contributing to the Kitchen Commons Community Kitchens program.